2019 Rhizome Sale: Complete Overview
The HIPS Annual Rhizome Sale is undergoing a few tweaks, to tighten up the schedule a bit and get fresher rhizomes into the hands of our buyers. The “live” sale format is a big hit, and buyers know quickly what is still available to purchase and what they have already purchased.
First, THANK YOU in advance for your donation! The Rhizome Sale is the main fundraiser for HIPS and without you, it wouldn’t be possible.
Please email or mail a list of cultivars you can probably donate to our Rhizome Sale Chair, Judy Schneider <email@example.com by June 30. This will give us time to find links or photos of each iris and have them ready for viewing when the sale starts. If you can’t send a cultivar at dig time, just let Judy know. If you find you can send an iris you didn’t include on your list, please do send it. It’s welcome!
DONORS, please see Donor Instructions With Photos for simple instructions on preparing irises for the HIPS sale. Even if you’re experienced at shipping irises, the HIPS sale is challenging because the irises are shipped, stored, and shipped again.
We would like all rhizomes to arrive by July 13. Mail rhizomes to:
PO Box 456 (postal mail only)
E22540 East Bay Lane (other shippers only)
Grand Marais MI 49839
A link to the list of available cultivars and quantities will be available on the HIPS website on or before July 18. The list will include links to photos and information about the cultivars whenever possible. Rhizomes will cost US$6.50 each, which includes postage. The minimum purchase is four rhizomes. Canadians, please see CANADIAN ORDERS, below.
To be fair to people in different time zones, the irises will be offered in two rounds, one starting in the morning and one twelve hours later—see TIME ZONE CHART, below.
Each round will contain half the rhizomes of each cultivar. For instance, if we have 20 rhizomes of ‘Acropolis’, 10 will be offered in Round One and 10 in Round Two. You may buy ‘Acropolis’ during either round of the sale, but not both. Only ONE rhizome of each cultivar is allowed per buyer in the first two days. You can come back and buy other cultivars in Round Two, though. Only HIPS members may purchase irises for the first two days.
Not a HIPS member? For the best selection, you can join as an e-member for only US$10 or a regular member for US$13.
We will process all requests as quickly as possible, in the order in which they are received. Many cultivars are in very limited amounts and sell out almost immediately. Requests sent via postal mail are processed as soon as possible upon receipt.
July 18, 2019: We’ll post the iris sale list on the HIPS website so you can study it and make your choices. We’ll post photos and links to each cultivar if we can find them. A link to the Master Sale Spreadsheet (on Google Docs) will be posted as soon as we have entered and double-checked all the quantities.
July 20, 2019, 8AM Central Time (8:00 in the MORNING): Round One begins for HIPS members only, and just one rhizome per cultivar for now. The spreadsheet for Round One will be locked at 6:00pm Central Time. All remaining irises will be transferred to Round Two and will be available for purchase during that round.
July 20, 2019, 8PM Central Time (8:00 in the EVENING): Round Two begins for HIPS members only, and just one rhizome per cultivar for now.
July 22, 2019, 8AM Central Time: Non-HIPS members may now purchase irises. Also, you may now all buy more than one rhizome of each cultivar if you wish.
July 24, 2019: Ordering ends at 11:00pm Central Time.
TIME ZONE CHART
These hours are when Round One starts in the morning and Round Two starts in the evening:
9:00AM or PM Eastern Time
8:00AM or PM Central Time, as in our example
7:00AM or PM Mountain Time
6:00AM or PM Pacific Time
HOW TO ORDER
(or see No Computer Access? below)
- At the start of your preferred Round, email your alphabetized list of chosen cultivars to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, along with your full name, email address, phone number, and mailing address. ORDERS WITHOUT ALL OF THE REQUESTED INFORMATION WILL NOT BE FILLED.
- When your request arrives, we’ll add it to the online spreadsheet. You can view the sheet as we work on it, but be aware it may load slowly. Requests are posted in the order received. Requests are listed by email name. For instance, <email@example.com> would be listed simply as irisbuyer. As each request is posted, those rhizomes are subtracted from the total, so you can see how many of each cultivar are left to buy and which cultivars are sold out. You may send additional lists as needed. Please be patient, as there is typically a huge rush at the beginning of each round. Please give us at least six hours to catch up before inquiring about your order.
The spreadsheet will look like this:
The first column indicates how many rhizomes we started with, followed by the number sold and the number still available to purchase. You see that irisbuyer1 was the first order, flowed by happycat and mtsmith. In this example, ‘Al Borak’ and ‘Amain’ are sold out. Look for your email name in the columns to the right. You will see which rhizomes you were able to purchase.
- You may buy again in Round Two if you miss out on a cultivar during Round One of the sale. Each cultivar is limited to one per buyer, however, until July 22 (see TIMELINE, above).
- Once you are sure you’re done ordering, email us at <firstname.lastname@example.org> and tell us that. We will then send a PayPal invoice to you and you pay the total. Credit cards are accepted through PayPal, even if you don’t have an account. You may mail a check if you’re a HIPS member, but your order will not be shipped until your check is received. If you’re not a HIPS member, you MUST use PayPal. DO NOT SEND PAYMENT until you receive your invoice. Payment must be received within 48 hours of invoice date. We don’t pack and ship your rhizomes until you pay for them, so it’s to your advantage to pay promptly.
- ALL ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 24 (except Canadian orders; see below).
- Once your order is paid, we’ll pack and mail it quickly, so you can get the plants in the ground as soon as possible. We ship by US postal mail only.
Canadians, you must be HIPS members to buy irises. Please follow the HOW TO ORDER instructions, above. We will send all Canadian orders in one shipment to the Canadian Rhizome Sale Coordinator, B.J. Jackson. You will pay the regular US$6.50 per rhizome price, plus a US$7.00 surcharge per customer to cover the cost of the phytosanitary certificate and initial shipping to B.J. The individual shipping costs, from B.J. to you, are included in the rhizome price. CANADIAN ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 23 at 11:00pm Central Time..
If you have any questions before the sale, email our Rhizome Sale Chair Judy Schneider at email@example.com (preferred) or phone her at 940-594-5557.